Pages

Tuesday 5 August 2014

live theory : critical selfie : stage two

After my second exploration of the city, I found that I kept bing drawn to the spaces around what has been designed. This idea had grown from my initial shoot, where I was looking at spaces where people had rebelled against design, and were adapting design for their individual everyday. This first perspective had been influenced by Jahangeer's writing in Urban Future Manifesto's and his view about how people create spaces. 

The perspective that I now taken has been adapted from this viewpoint, where the "inbetweeness" has been explored. These are the spaces that were not intentionally designed, but are created from what designers, architects and people have made surrounding them. I also was quite drawn to where nature has rebelled against design, but I don't think I will pursue that perspective further.

The spaces in-between design, are as much a product of design as those that were created intentionally.

Shoot 2 Contact Sheet
The series of photographs I produced based on this perspective looks at the "forgotten spaces" that are formed by the surrounding design. I have layered the shapes of these unintentionally designed spaces overtop of the images to emphasise the form of them and to give an abstract blue-print aesthetic. While I am relatively happy with the images produced, I do think that the idea can be developed a lot further in order to communicate my design perspective in a stronger and more interesting way.











Spaces are designed,
but the spaces that are not
are created too.

No comments:

Post a Comment