Pages

Thursday 19 May 2016

project three : development of design idea

Based off of the research presented in my last post, I would like my revamp-a-lamp design to encourage participation in making by including users in the design make-up of the product. This will be achieved through two ways: offering the product as a flat package where users have to assemble the lamp themselves, and also offering a variety of parts so users can have more of a choice in the final design of the product.

Flat Pack:
Inspired by IKEA's flat pack packaging method, I am exploring how offering my product unassembled can help engage users in the making process. In order for this to be successful, the assembly of the lamp needs to be simple and supported with easy to follow instructions. This would require providing all components needed for the lamp as separate pieces.

Customisable:
My initial prototype consisted of laser cut pieces which were then slotted in to a base to form a type of lamp shade. In order to make the product more customisable to users, I  want to offer various pieces for the lamp shade which are different shapes and sizes. This way, users can chose which pieces to slot into the base to create a unique lamp shade. This further engages users in the making process as then become the designers themselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment