Pages

Friday 27 May 2016

project three : laser cutting issues

So I decided that I was going to recut my lamp shade out of acrylic. I was given feedback on my last assignment to perhaps use a nice material to make it more believable as a product. I chose a frosted clear acrylic and thought that this would be nice as it would allow for the light to glow through. So I set off to the laser cutting workshop and was ready to get everything done. It did not go well.

Firstly, while I was setting up the file on the computer something with the keyboard went wrong and it stopped working. We ended up having to shut down the whole computer which took about 15 minutes to get back up and running. Once I had finally started my cut, maybe about a quarter of the way through, a piece of the protective paper caught fire. It melted one of the corners of the acrylic sheet. Because I wanted to use the offcuts for my packaging, this was not so great. I was thinking that I would just have to come up with another way to package the product and continued the cut. Everything was finished and I was a bit disheartened but it was alright - at least I had something done. I was wrong. Although the spacing was measured perfectly, the lamp shade just did not stay together. The acrylic was too smooth to lock into place and everything fell apart. I wanted to cry. I would have to go back to the workshop again and recut my lamp out of a different material.


No comments:

Post a Comment