Pages

Tuesday 28 August 2012

time : final proposal

Since my last idea was a fail, I've taken a whole new approach to this project.

For this project, I aim to explore and communicate how time effects and transforms the food and meals we eat each day. I am taking a look at what meals are made of and what they become. I aim to show this in an interesting way which is through provoking. I want to try and portray a commercial feel to the images, as I feel the advertisement industry sometimes hides the reality of products, much like the meals which sometimes hide the ingredients in it, showcasing an appetising exterior.

I will show this transformation in food by taking before and after shots of meals which I have throughout the week. Using a document style layout and shoot, I will clearly display the beginning and end product, allowing the contrast between the two to be able to be seen clearly. In the "before" image, the ingredients will be lay out without any association to one another. After the meal is prepared, I will take an "after" photo, where all the ingredients are combined into one appealing dish. I will use bright lighting to give the images a "commercial" feel, and to enhance the coloring of the ingredients. This also creates an "exposed" feel to the pictures, the ingredients are being shown for what they are. From here, I will use a short shutter speed to maintain correct exposure in the images, also allowing to get crisp images that are a "snap shot" of time. This allows me to explore time in a different way - by not following the actual process but showing clear examples to start and finish - and the difference that time has on the initial products.

I think that this idea will be interesting to shoot as it makes me, and viewers, think harder about what is actually in our food, in where it all came from. As emphasis on organic and natural products develops in the modern society, I believe that this series will act as a small window into this issue. I think that it will explore time in an interesting way, by seeing how with time, things can completely transform.

No comments:

Post a Comment