Pages

Thursday 26 September 2013

lomographics : artist precedents

Erin Antognoli's is an sculptor and photographer. In her series Holga Cityscape's, she takes images of mundane city scenes and layers them together to create a much more interesting image. She achieves this by not rolling the film fully each time so each image is overlapped with another to merge the two frames. She shot this series with black and white film and processes them with a selenium tone which also adds to the blandness of the initial images, making it even more of a task to make the images interesting to look at. This technique offers multiple perspectives and new ways of looking at a scene and even creates new cityscapes together.

7th Street Bike, 2006
I find all of the images in this series of Antognoli's interesting, however I really like this one in particular as it offers two different view points of the street view. Again, as single images, these are very boring and plain, but put together they really make me think about where I actually am on the street and how I should be viewing it. It almost creates a 3D experience. I also really enjoy the natural edges on the images, maybe created by not fully submerging the film into the processing chemicals, I find they create a really whimsical and natural border, contrasting the very hard subject matter.

Although this technique does not really relate to my project, I am really interested in trying to recreate images the way she has. I think she really effectively took something boring and made it interesting. I think this relates to my project as I feel that the images taken with smartphones and specifically for instagram are really banal snapshots of everyday life. By remediating these images and bringing some life back to them I think I will too be able to make the everyday look interesting again through film, much like Antognoli has.


No comments:

Post a Comment