Pages

Sunday 8 September 2013

photography as data : photograhic precedent

I have just looked at Nancy Burson's photograph Warhead I. Burson was one of the leaders in using technology with photography. For this image, Burson blended images of several world leaders faces together in order to create a completely different person. The faces used were each represented by the percentage of nuclear weapons that nation had. In this aspect, Burson's technique uses photography as data to show this statistic.

The fact that the image looks quite mundane, just like another portrait, but actually represents quite serious data adds a lot of depth to the image. I think I could add this sort of data capturing to my images in order to add another layer of information to the series as opposed to just straight comparing the images.

Nancy Burson, Warhead I, 1982




No comments:

Post a Comment