Pages

Wednesday 11 September 2013

photography as data : third shoot

This morning I took photos of the family members before they headed off to work and school so I could catch them in daylight, in order to correct the yellow tone that I have had in the previous shoots. This worked much better and gave true representation of skin and hair tone. However,  I was unable to capture the whole family as the father went away a couple of days ago so I will have to leave him out f the series.

I have also added a new dimension to the project after talking to Matt my second shoot. Instead of randomly selecting portions of the family member's faces to compare with another's, I have divided the face into five different sections and then asked each member to rate these sections on a scale of 1 - 4 based on the likeness of other family member's sections. This idea was pulled from Nancy Burson's Warhead image, as she made the new face by proportionally representing different figures. By asking each family member to give me these ratings, my final images will not only show genetic similarities and differences, but also explore how each family member views their genetic similarities with other family members.

The face was divided into five portions, the forehead, eyes, nose, mouth and chin. These are the results of the ratings:

        Alana (mother):               Miriam (oldest sister):      Benjamin (brother):          Rachael (youngest sister):
    M: f:2 e:0 n:1 m:2 c:2     A: f:3 e:2 n:2 m:3 c:1       M: f:3 e:1 n:1 m:2 c:2       M: f:1 e:2 n:3 m:2 c:1   
B: f:1 e:1 n:1 m:2 c:3      B: f:1 e:2 n:1 m:3 c:2       A: f:1 e:2 n:3 m:2 c:2       B: f:3 e:1 n:2 m:2 c:3
R: f:1 e:1 n:3 m:2 c:2      R: f:1 e:3 n:4 m:2 c:2       R: f:1 e:2 n:1 m:2 c:1       A: f:2 e:1 n:2 m:2 c:1

I will then divide the face into four columns, and base how much of each family member is placed over another face based on these results.

These are the images I took for this shoot. Because I still took the images at different times (based on how early/late they got up) there were still a couple of differences in lighting. However, they can be easily fixed.





No comments:

Post a Comment