Pages

Tuesday 17 September 2013

photography as data : evaluation


I am very happy with how The Genetic Patchwork turned out. The series clearly investigates genetic similarities and differences within a family and also communicates how they view these features compared to those of their family member's. 

 I think my project developed quite well from my first shoot to my last both technically and creatively. By using feedback from my tutor and peers and incorporating a different artist's technique, my project gained more depth and better fulfilled the concept of photography as data. It also allowed for my project to be more original. I am also happy with my physical hand in which was a flip book made up of the different family member's ratings, which when viewed together, gives a representation of how each family member sees themselves in each family member, exposing the portions that they think look most like themselves, creating a complete face of their viewed most similar facial features. I think the book complimented the project nicely.

This project could have been improved if I had been able to include the father in the series. This would complete the family and enable for the series to be a true investigation of how genetics work within a family. While I was happy with the final images, they still could have been even sharper if I had actually shot them at a studio or all at the same time, just to get complete consistency over the whole shoot.

Overall, I believe The Genetic Patchwork successfully communicates and investigates the themes I was working with in this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment